Longfellow-Augustana College Partnership
Sharing our Love of Learning as Partners in Education!
The Rock Island School District and Augustana College committed to a partnership with Longfellow Liberal Arts School in 2009-2010. Through this partnership, educators and students will work alongside the Longfellow community to continue the tradition of providing an excellent education for Longfellow students.
Longfellow students will:
- learn to think critically and creatively;
- become highly skilled communicators and problem solvers;
- explore the connections between various subjects;
- develop a deeper understanding and involvement of their community, nation and world; and
- benefit from the Augustana students, faculty, campus and facilities as educational resources.
Longfellow teachers and staff will:
- engage the students in the subject matter, with the students becoming historians, writers, scientists, mathematicians, etc.;
- work with Augustana faculty to expand the understanding of learning and teaching;
- mentor Augustana clinical students and teacher candidates; and
- utilize the Augustana campus, departments and facilities as a learning resource and support for Longfellow students and families.
Augustana Education Department faculty and students will:
- work with Longfellow teachers and students to expand the understanding of learning and teaching;
- gain experience applying their skills in a “real-world” setting; and
- continue the tradition of giving back to the community through this partnership.
Longfellow Families/Community will:
- benefit from additional support and educational opportunities for our children;
- benefit from increased excitement in their children for the discovery and the joy of learning with emphasis on fine arts & science; and
- benefit from more 1:1 attention for all students.
Augustana students tutoring Longfellow students in math.